College of Horticulture, Northwest A&F university,
3 Taicheng Road,
Yangling 712100, Shaanxi, China
Education and working experience
2010.09-Present: Professor, College of Horticulture, Northwest A&F University
2016.02-2017.01: Visiting Scholar, UC Davis, USA
2007.07-2010.07: Postdoc at CSIRO, Australia
2006.03-2008.01: Postdoc at Zhejiang University, China
2004.12-2005.12: Visiting Research Fellow at University of Sussex, UK
2004.06: PhD in Botany, Lanzhou University, China
Physiological and molecular basis of vegetable crops’ adaptation to abiotic stresses
Soilless Cultivation, Introduction to Horticultural Science, Scientific Paper Writing
Main research achievements
Uncovering partial mechanisms for silicon-mediated stress-tolerance in plants, mechanism of plants adaptation to gradual environmental stresses, exclusion mechanism of chloride in grapevine.
1. Jia J, Liang Y, Gou T, Hu Y, Zhu Y, Huo H, Guo J, Gong H*. 2020. The expression response of plasma membrane aquaporins to salt stress in tomato plants. Environ Exp Bot, 178: 104190
2. Sun H, Duan Y, Mitani-Ueno N, Che J, Jia J, Liu J, Guo J, Ma JF*, Gong H*. 2020. Tomato roots have a functional silicon influx transporter but not a functional silicon efflux transporter. Plant Cell Environ, 43: 732-744
3. Gou T, Yang L, Hu W, Chen X, Zhu Y, Guo J, Gong H*. 2020. Silicon improves the growth of cucumber under excess nitrate stress by enhancing nitrogen assimilation and chlorophyll synthesis. Plant Physiol Biochem, 152: 53-61
4. Han W, Jia J, Hu Y, Liu J, Guo J, Shi Y, Huo H*, Gong H*. Maintenance of root water uptake contributes to salt-tolerance of a wild tomato species under salt stress. Arch Agron Soil Sci. DOI: 10.1080/03650340.2020.1720911
5. Gou T, Chen X, Han R, Liu J, Zhu Y, Gong H*. 2020. Silicon can improve seed germination and ameliorate oxidative damage of bud seedlings in cucumber under salt stress. Acta Physiol Plant, 40: 12
6. Han N, Fan S, Zhang T, Sun H, Zhu Y, Gong H*, Guo J*. 2020. SlHY5 is a necessary regulator of the cold acclimation response in tomato. Plant Growth Regul, 91: 1-12
7. Hu Y, Wang Y, Liang Y, Guo J, Gong H*, Xu Z*. 2020. Silicon alleviates mercury toxicity in garlic plants. J Plant Nutr, 43: 2508-2517
8. Baz H, Creech M, Chen J, Gong H, Bradford K, Huo H. 2020. Water-soluble carbon nanoparticles improve seed germination and post-germination growth of lettuce under salinity stress. Agronomy, 10 (8): 1192
9. Zhu Y-X, Yang L, Liu N, Yang J, Zhou X-K, Xia Y-C, He Y, He Y-Q, Gong H-J, Ma D-F, Yin J-L*. 2019. Genome-wide identification, structure characterization, and expression pattern profiling of aquaporin gene family in cucumber. BMC Plant Biol, 19: 345.
10. Zhu Y-X, Gong H-J, Yin J-L*. 2019. Role of silicon in mediating salt tolerance in plants: a review. Plants, 8: 147.
11. Zhu Y, Yin J, Liang Y, Liu J, Jia J, Huo H, Wu Z, Yang R*, Gong H*. 2019. Transcriptomic dynamics provide an insight into the mechanism for silicon-mediated alleviation of salt stress in cucumber plants. Ecotox Environ Saf, 174: 245-254
12. Yin J, Jia J, Lian Z, Hu Y, Guo J, Huo H, Zhu Y, Gong H*. 2019. Silicon enhances the salt tolerance of cucumber through increasing polyamine accumulation and decreasing oxidative damage. Ecotox Environ Saf, 169: 8-17.
13. Bassil E, Zhang S, Gong H, Tajima H, Blumwald E. 2019. Cation specificity of vacuolar NHX-type cation/H+ antiporters. Plant Physiol, 179: 616-629.
14. Sun H, Duan Y, Qi X, Zhang L, Huo H, Gong H*. 2018. Isolation and functional characterization of CsLsi2 , a cucumber silicon efflux transporter gene. Ann Bot, 122, 641-648.
15. Walker RR, Blackmore DH, Gong H, Henderson SW, Gilliham M, Walker AR. 2018. An analysis of the salt exclusion phenotype in rooted leaves of grapevine ( Vitis spp.). Aust J Grape Wine Res, 24: 317-326
16. Zhang Y, Shi Y, Gong H, Zhao H, Li H, Hu Y, Wang Y. 2018. Beneficial effects of silicon on photosynthesis of tomato seedlings under water stress. J Integr Agr, 17: 2151–2159
17. Sun H, Guo J, Duan Y, Zhang T, Huo H, Gong H*. Isolation and functional characterization of CsLsi1 , a silicon transporter gene in Cucumis sativus . Physiol Plant, 2017, 159: 201-214.
18. Zhu Y, Guo J, Feng R, Jia J, Han W, Gong H*. The regulatory role of silicon on carbohydrate metabolism in Cucumis sativus L. under salt stress. Plant Soil, 2016, 406: 231-249.
19. Shi Y, Zhang Y, Han W, Feng R, Hu Y, Guo J, Gong H*. Silicon enhances water stress tolerance by improving root hydraulic conductance in Solanum lycopersicum L. Front Plant Sci, 2016, 7: 196.
20. Wang Y, Hu Y, Duan Y, Feng R, Gong H*. Silicon reduces long-term cadmium toxicities in potted garlic plants. Acta Physiol Plant, 2016, 38: 211.
21. Wu J, Guo J, Hu Y, Gong H*. Distinct physiological responses of tomato and cucumber plants in silicon-mediated alleviation of cadmium stress. Front Plant Sci, 2015, 6: 453.
22. Zhu YX, Xu XB, Hu YH, Han WH, Yin JL, Li HL, Gong HJ*. Silicon improves salt tolerance by increasing root water uptake in Cucumis sativus L. Plant Cell Rep, 2015, 34:1629-1646.
23. Li H, Zhu Y, Hu Y, Han W, Gong H*. Beneficial effects of silicon in alleviating salinity stress of tomato seedlings grown under sand culture. Acta Physiol Plant, 2015, 37: 71
24. Gong HJ, Blackmore D, Clingeleffer P, Sykes S, Walker R. Variation for potassium and sodium accumulation in a family from a cross between grapevine rootstocks K 51-40 and 140 Ruggeri. Vitis, 2014, 53(2): 65-72.
25. Guo J, Wu JW, Zhang TT, Gong HJ*. Over-expression of SlCycA3 gene in Arabidopsis accelerated the cycle cycle transition. Funct Plant Biol, 2014, 41: 659-670.
26. Zhu YX, Gong HJ*. Beneficial effects of silicon on salt and drought tolerance in plants. Agron Sustain Dev, 2014, 34: 455-472.
27. Shi Y, Zhang Y, Yao HJ, Wu JW, Sun H, Gong HJ*. Silicon improves seed germination and alleviates oxidative stress of bud seedlings in tomato under water deficit stress. Plant Physiol Biochem, 2014, 78: 27-36
28. Wu JW, Shi Y, Zhu YX, Wang YC, Gong HJ*. Mechanisms of enhanced heavy metal tolerance in plants by silicon. Pedosphere, 2013, 23: 815-825.
29. Shi Y, Wang YC, Flowers TJ, Gong HJ*. Silicon decreases chloride transport in rice ( Oryza sativa L.) in saline conditions. J Plant Physiol, 2013, 170: 847-853.
30. Gong HJ*, Chen KM. The regulatory role of silicon on water relations, photosynthetic gas exchange, and carboxylation activities of wheat leaves in field drought conditions. Acta Physiol Plant, 2012, 34: 1589-1594.
31. Ming DF, Pei ZF, Naeem MS, Gong HJ*, Zhou WJ*. Silicon alleviates PEG-induced water-deficit stress in upland rice seedlings by enhancing osmotic adjustment. J Agron Crop Sci, 2012, 198: 14-26.
32. Gong HJ, Blackmore D, Clingeleffer P, Sykes S, Jha D, Tester M, Walker R. Contrast in chloride exclusion between two grapevine genotypes and its variation in their hybrid progeny. J Exp Bot, 2011, 62: 989-999.